Tricuspid Atresia
Previous Next

(rollover to compare with shunt)
How Is It Treated? - Part 1

If a Patent (open) Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) is required, a surgical procedure to direct more blood to the lungs will be necessary. This involves the insertion of a Modified Blalock-Taussig Shunt, which is a small tube made of Gore-Tex® (yellow in the rollover at left) that connects the aorta and pulmonary artery. Though in a different position, the "B-T Shunt" has much the same function as the Patent Ductus Arteriosus.